Thursday, March 29, 2012

Atlanta's Top Patios

Ok, I've been wanting to write something to commemorate the first day of Spring since it arrived last week. However, the early concepts of a 9,000+ pollen count, 80 degree weather and bringing out the warm weather wardrobe just weren't cutting it.

Soooooo, I decided that the thing I have been most excited about for this spring is the ability to hang out on a patio again. If you aren't familiar with Atlanta, this is a patio town. People WILL go to your establishment for a great patio despite the beer selection, horrible menu, and any other fallacy that you might be commiting. It's all about the patio (luckily for Hudson Grill).

So without further ado, I present to you what I think is the list of the top patios in Atlanta. I welcome suggestions and additions that I can go test out.

1- The Nook

Located directly across the street from Piedmont Park, I discovered the Nook a few years ago when I was playing on a softball team down there. This was our post-game drinking hole. It's got a great view, fantastic people watching, and the food is pretty good as well.  Plus, it's about the cheapest in town valet parking. If you haven't tried it, go. But pick a nice sunny day!

2- Leon's Full Service


While downtown Decatur is a bit of a hike for me, I NEVER regret the decision to go out there. And while I don't get to Leon's as often as I would like, it's always on my mind. For me, it's hard to go to Decatur and not end up at the Brickstore, but I love this little patio! Day time, night time, anytime is the right time. And when the big garage doors open up and you can hear the hustle and bustle of the bar inside, you just feel like you are one of those elite few "in the know" about this hot spot. Also, on the other side of the bar, there is another small patio with a bocce ball court. Rock on.

3- The Righteous Room


I know, I know, I know. Those of you in Atlanta who have any idea what this place is are scratching your head right now and saying "Seriously?". As I mentioned, this is MY favorite list. Righteous Room takes the idea of dive bar and brings it down to a whole new level. I've never actually even been inside, no idea if they have food, but the ambiance offered by their communal tables outside is one of a kind. Settled on the corner of N. Highland Ave and Ponce, this is PRIMO people watching territory. The clientele is...diverse. And you can get a $15 pitcher of Guiness. Do not go alone, do not go during daytime (is it even open??) but go. Sit back, relax, meet your table neighbors, and watch the evening unfold.

4- Joes on Juniper


Dogs on a patio? Yes, please! I know there are others in Atlanta where you can take your dogs as well, but this one is my favorite. The location is great, the crowd is lively, and the menu is...not my favorite, but I manage. This is easily one of my favorite spots to meet up with an old friend, grab a few drinks, and enjoy the afternoon. Maybe one day I can even take Mickey with me (if he ever learns decent manners).

5- Cypress Pint and Plate


This is one of the few patios that I actually prefer at night. As you can see, they have a fun fire pit that is pretty much always on, and it lends itself to more of a night time patio. Fantastic drink menu, both beer and cocktails. The food is great as well. Parking however can be a little tough. But if you circle it enough, maybe you will luck out to find one of the metered spots up the street. OR, just make a friend who lives near by. If you haven't been here, go now. Before it gets too hot in the evening to enjoy the warmth of the fire pit.

6- Park Tavern

To be perfectly honest, if it weren't for all of the events and 99 cent drafts on rainy days that Park Tavern offers, I'm not sure they would have made my list. There is just something a little overdone about it. However, there is no denying that a beautiful patio set in Piedmont Park is not a wonderful thing. Parking is not great, beer selection is so-so, but it sure is a great place to sit, see the park and listen to live music. Unplugged in the Park starts back May 6th and already on the lineup for this year are Blair Crimmins and the Hookers and Griffin House. Two shows I will definitely be seeing this year.

7- Uncle Julio's


This may be one that we don't all agree on, but I have spent some great evenings on this patio. My memories of this patio will forever keep it in high standards to me. I used to live about a mile from here and it's also a patio that I prefer in the evenings. The bright colors and even brighter patrons are sure to keep your evening interesting. The food is pretty good and the margaritas are STRONG. And if you've never been on a Friday night...well...why don't you just try it out and let me know what you think. But be prepared, they will run out of frozen margaritas fast! Also, this only applies to the Midtown location, the Sandy Springs location pales in comparison.

8- Six Feet Under


I add this one to my list with this stipulation: I've never actually sat on this patio. However- before you let your jaws drop to the ground in complete disgust that I would dare write about something I don't have first hand experience in...I must tell you - they made me do it! But seriously, I spoke to a few friends as I have been working on this blog and EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. mentioned this patio. So surely they must be doing something right. And if nothing else, now the mystery has made me want to go try it out. The restaurant itself is great so I'm sure that if you factor in a rooftop patio, it can only get better!

Alright folks, there it is, my tribute to Springtime in Atlanta. For anyone who is wondering why I did not include any Taco Mac on this list, I ask that you please not return to my blog in the future. And if you have any suggestions for me to go try that you think should make the cut, I would love to have them!

Happy Spring, try not to turn yellow!

2 comments:

  1. Damn, you have covered all of the ones I know of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a patio, but the Porter sets up a couple of picnic tables outside when the weather is warm. Best people watching in Atlanta, hands down.

    ReplyDelete