Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Trouble with Moving is it Never Starts out as Fun

Sorry I've been MIA for a little while, folks. Been a busy few weeks, haven't had time to really stop and reflect. So since you are all wondering what's going on in the world of Cindy Lou Who, figured I would give you the update:

Time until move: 10 days
Boxes packed: 3
Boxes unpacked: 1 (Thanks a lot, Mickey)
Boxes left to pack: Atleast 4,000

There's a lot to be done in my apartment. And I just can't seem to get motivated to do any of it. Sound familiar? I actually never despised moving, but this time around, it just seems like the most awful thing that I have ever had to do in my entire life. And it is not helping now that I think Mickey has caught on to what's going on. He knows that when I pack a suitcase, he's going to my mom's for a few days, and usually he's ok with that. He'll pull the occasional item out of my suitcase and hide it. But this week while I was packing a box of scarves and hats, he successfully managed to unpack each item behind me as I was going back and forth from the closet. It was about my 3rd trip when I realized that I kept adding to the box, but it wasn't getting any fuller. Classic Mickey moarding (Mickey hoarding, obviously).

So now here I am, trying to pack up my apartment, making little to negative progress, and not sure how to get going in the right direction. Maybe it's my lack of proper materials. Maybe it's the fact that I have to start deciding what goes in storage and what's coming with me. Maybe, packing just plain sucks. So many variables!

The worst part is that in an attempt to feel like I've made any progress, I have just been rearranging things in my apartment- pulling things out of drawers, emptying closets, creating "stacks of stuff" that I am convinced I will one day transfer into a box. I wonder if I could just push everything into piles and just let the movers scoop it up and carry it down. No? Not a good plan? Shoot.

So right now, the big focus is on the move, getting packed, and hoping that I can find some motivation. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to find some packing motivation, I'm all ears. And, if you can offer no words of wisdom, but want to come drink wine and supervise, also available. You will have to BYOB though, because if I haven't proved enough that I am terrible at packing, I already packed up the liquor cabinet. Seriously, what was I thinking??

Boxes unpacked: 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment