Wednesday, December 7, 2011

10 Ways You Can Tell It's "Winter" in Atlanta

Now that we are about a week into December and the temperatures have started dropping, I've been making some rather amusing observations about how we Atlantans (Atlantinians? Atlantons? Atlantanese?) handle the change in climate. Please note that I use the term "winter" very loosely.

There are two distinct categories of people when it comes to cold weather in Atlanta- those who are originally from Atlanta and below, and those who are from the rest of the world.

So, without further delay- here are 10 signs that prove it's winter time in Atlanta:

#1: The news is reporting on the 3...3... sand trucks that the city of Atlanta purchased to be prepared for any possible storms this year. Really? That should probably cover the 5 million + of us that live here, sure.

#2: Last night at the gym, I heard the words "63 degrees" and "chance of snow flurries" in the same sentence. I'm no rocket surgeon...but...what? I almost fell off the treadmill when I heard this.

#3: The fact that people actually watched the above newscast has made it impossible for me to purchase either bread or milk at any local grocer. Apparently the idea of snow really works up a craving for milkshakes and sandwiches. Whatever, I was just passing by on my way to the liquor store anyway. Of course, if I'm snowed in for a few days, I'm sure that a sandwich wouldn't be a terrible idea to go with my vodka tonics. If only I could find some damn bread...

#4: It doesn't actually matter what the temperature is outside, everyone is bundled up in their heaviest winter gear. Seriously, most of us are already wearing the same thing at 50 degrees that we will be wearing for the week that we hit maybe 20 degrees. Below about 55, it's all kind of the same to us. (Also important to note: heaviest winter gear usually implies some form of a pea coat, scarf, and the occasional gloves...oh and lest we not forget ear muffs which somehow have already made a comeback this season...in 60 degree weather!!!).

#5: That group of people NOT from Atlanta, stops talking to the group of us that IS from Atlanta. They no longer ask how we are doing, because every response will have some form of "cold" in it and quite frankly, they frown upon us for it. I think they probably should.

#6: Everyone talks about ice skating. Because the rink is the coldest place we can go in this city to pretend it actually might be Winter like the rest of the world knows it. And we saw Snoopy do it in Charlie Brown Christmas, so it MUST be the thing to do when it's cold...right? None of us actually know how to, so we are all fighting for space along the wall to grab on and pull ourselves. But hey, atleast we're living the dream (and at half the price thanks to Groupon)!

#7: "It's too cold out" becomes a valid reason for cancelling plans that have nothing to do with even being outside. "Hey Suzy! Wanna go see a movie with me?" "No, I'm going to pass, the weather outside is frightful, and the fire I just built is just too delightful!" "Ok, you sure? Because they have heat inside the theater, ya know. Not to mention, you'll probably be fine with a light jacket, the sun's out and it's only 50 today." "No thanks, already curled in my Snuggie with my hot chocolate watching Elf."   

#8: Everyone is putting their small dogs in sweaters to keep them warm. This one, I'm kind of ok with to be honest.

#9: People will post on Facebook for WEEKS about how badly they wish for snow and then post about how much they hate snow on the 1 day a year that we actually get it. Make up your minds. I, for one, am just generally anti-snow. If you would all just subscribe to my school of thought, we can just eliminate this little conflict and I can go back to being annoyed by your regularly scheduled FB statuses.

And perhaps my FAVORITE of them all ....Drum Roll please.......

#10: Every. Single. Weather Advisory. Is compared to the infamous blizzard of March, 1993 - the "Storm of the Century", the "March Superstorm". As a native Atlantan, I remember this storm very well. I was a child and it was the first real snow that I had ever seen. Anyone who has lived in Atlanta knows about this infamous year and we can all recall this date at the drop of a hat. And if you aren't from here but you've lived here for atleast one winter, you know it too because we all talk about. All the time. I recall this event as a Winter Wonderland and was mesemerized by the beauty of all the white fluff. However, the reports that I have gone back to research for this, all document a total accumulation ranging from 4-6 inches. THAT, was our moment of glory.

So there you have it, folks. This is what we here in Atlanta have to look forward to for the next 3-4 months. There will of course be a break from it when we get our inevitable 1 week of 70 degree weather in January.

Hopefully those of you who do not or never have lived in Atlanta can still appreciate some of these. If you have any others that you can think of, would love to hear them!!

2 comments:

  1. As a "northerner", "yankee", "infiltrator", "transplant", every one of these is beyond comical. I look forward to experiencing the joy of the winter season every year for the sheer hilarity. Unfortunately, I am a cereal eater, so the lack of milk does become a problem for a few days each winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "4" inches took almost 2 weeks to melt, I honestly believe it was more like 2 feet. Could not get out of the driveway for 3 days, Mary

    ReplyDelete