Thursday, November 24, 2011

Home for the Holidays

Well, I just completed the should be 6 but took 7 hour Thanksgiving trek to my sister's house in Jacksonville, FL for my first Florida Thanksgiving.

I've had the topic of "home" on my mind lately. And as we are officially in the holiday season (if you couldn't tell by the onslought of Christmas commercials and clever Santa jingles), it seems to be the optimal time to think about what the concept of "home" means to each of us. Is it a physical place? Is it an atmosphere? A city, a state, maybe even a person?

I think we all know how I struggle with definitions of words. Most of the definitions that I have read define "home" as a dwelling or shelter. And while that makes perfect sense, I know that I often find myself wishing I were home. Even when I'm sitting in my apartment. To me, home is not just where I live. It's an environment, an attitude. The house I first lived in, we moved out of when I was in middle school. And the house I spent my adolescent years in was sold while I was away at college. So the houses that my parents now occupy, do not hold any real "home" value to me. And in the last 4 and a half years, I have had 5 places of residence that I have deemed "home". So when I have a deep feeling of wanting to go home, or the spot that I want to belong, none of these shelters really seem to fit the bill. Sure, at the end of a long night, "I want to go home" means "I want to go to wherever it is that my bed is". This could be under my desk at work for all I care at that point (incidentally, a very comfortable spot to sleep, as well).

I guess for me, home is a feeling, a place where I want to belong. More an environment and an atmosphere of love and comfort.  As I mentioned earlier, I often catch myself wishing I could go home. But when I have this thought, it's an undefined locale. It's a longing that I want to establish. And if anyone read my last post (oh, that's right, you ALL did...right???) you can hopefully see where this concept can be a bit confusing given how confused I am on a daily basis.

So, I pass it to you all, and wonder how you define home. On my drive today, one of my current favorites on my playlist really struck me. "Home" by Edwards Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros:

Ahh, Home
Let me come Home
Home is wherever I’m with you
La la la la, take me Home
Baby, I’m coming Home

I like this definition of home. Perhaps you also recognize it as "Home is where the heart is". Yes, I think that's a universal concept. I am certainly not the first to think it, and I'm sure not the last. And while I may not be "home" for Thanksgiving, I have my Mickey here with me, and a house full of family that are glad to see me and I can't think of a better alternate. So since everyone has posted their Thanks on Facebook, I will take a brief moment to say that this Thanksgiving, I am thankful to feel like I belong. I am thankful for a chance to spend time with family that I don't get to see much, but that I am excited to connect with. And I am ESPECIALLY thankful for the CD that I found under my drivers side seat while looking for my phone titled "Country Mix '03", it really made the last 2 hour leg of my journey possible- well, that and the 26oz Rockstar energy drink.

So on this Eve O' Thanksgiving, I wish you all a safe travel "home" to my dear friends returning to loved ones (or mildly tolerable ones). And for those of you not travelling, or going somewhere that isn't home, I still wish you a lovely holiday full of cranberries and stuffing, pies and green bean casseroles.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a Good Turkey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment