Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Things I could lose in the fire

Oh my, this is terribly embarrassing. Here I thought it had been a few weeks since I last posted something. But, as it turns out, we're dangerously teetering on a year. Holy crap!

Just goes to show how quickly time flies, I reckon.

But tonight I'm inspired to resurrect a forum that has previously been such a wonderful sounding board, as I have much to share. So much has changed from May of last year. So much. As I re-read the last few postings and musings from nearly a year ago, I'm not sure that I knew how much my life has transformed.

In May 2013, I was in love. I had a job where I punched the clock and saw potential to maybe one day move up. I played tennis, I didn't coach a softball team. I had a plan, I had certain friends.

And today, in almost April, 2013, I am not in love, I work a job that consumes me (but I secretly like it), I don't have time for tennis, I spend what little free time I have coaching softball. And I do still have a plan, but a far different one. I'm buying a house. I'm staying in Richmond. Somewhere in the last year, I grew up in a way that I didn't realize I hadn't previously.

I quickly skimmed over the last part about buying a house. Yes, you heard me right, a freaking house. This matters a lot to me because in my life, I've never been one for concrete goals, but this is one of the few I have ever had; to own before I'm 30. Now many of my best laid plans have not panned out by this point in my life, but this one seems to be coming to fruition, and quite frankly, it's terrifying.

Anyone who has patiently followed my journey over the last few years knows what a roller coaster and transformation my life has been, and this piece of stability is both exciting and scary. And with less than a year and a half away from such a big milestone in my life, I'm finally embracing this opportunity. There's something to be said for being financially independent, free of parents, free of a significant other, and surviving in the wild on my own will. It's empowering. Every woman should feel this moment of pride and fulfillment.  Imagine what I will actually feel like with the keys in hand an drinking my celebratory champagne in my empty living room.

In the meantime, if you'd like to contribute to the Synthia Floor Champagne Fund, you can direct all contributions through my chief fundraising officer, Mickey.

I hope everyone else has had a less eventful last year, and I promise to get back in the swing of channeling my inner Cindy Lou Who.

Until we meet again,
CLW

2 comments:

  1. I've missed you CLW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of your journey, fortitude and spirit.
    You go, girl! cmg

    ReplyDelete