Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Rap Songs White Girls Love

Recently, I've made a fantastic discovery...

The rap section of my satellite radio stations.

Now I know what you are thinking "How can this white girl from East Cobb (for my Richmond friends, think Short Pump) possibly know anything about good rap?" Valid question. I don't. I am, however, quite well versed in terrible pop rap. While attending high school (not in snobby East Cobb where I grew up) I was more of a demographic minority and was exposed to a much wider array of rap music. Most of which I chose to ignore and opt for whatever 95.5 The Beat told me I liked in those late 1990s/2000s years. Side note: did anyone ever decide what we are calling the early 2000s? Or are we just kind of skipping over that reference and pretending it never happened, kind of like Lindsey Lohan's music career?

So as I have been getting back in touch with my high school music roots with the discovery of my new satellite stations, I've been thinking about some of my favorite "rap" songs. And simultaneously realizing that absolutely none of them are getting any air time on these legit stations. Quite frankly, I've really just been changing back and forth between the 4 or so channels in hopes that Baby Got Back will be on so that I can roll down the windows and impress all of Richmond with how I know every single lyric unlike anyone else. So far, no dice. But who understands those rap stations anyway? I mean their playlists, they're just so BIG!

But you other brothers can't deny, there really is no need to look much farther than my own embarrasing Spotify playlists to identify a subset of songs that all girls love to listen to and proclaim that they "love rap music".

1. Sisqo: Thong Song
2. Sir Mix A Lot: Baby Got Back
3. P. Diddy: Shake Ya Tailfeather
4. Salt N' Peppa: Shoop
5. TLC: No Scrubs
6. 50 Cent: In Da Club
7. DMX: Party Up
8. Akon: Smack That
9. Beyonce: Single Ladies
10. Outkast: Hey Ya
11. Tag Team: Whoomp There It Is
12. Destiny's Child: ANYTHING
13. Ginuwine: Pony
14. Nelly: Country Grammar
15. Jay-Z: Hard Knock Life
16. Jennifer Lopez: Jenny From the Block
17. Ashanti: Always On Time
18. Jagged Edge: Let's Get Married
19. Juvenile: Back That Azz Up
20. Lil' Jon: Get Low

Ok, Cosmo-stlye quiz time. Even though when it comes to music, Cosmo ain't got nothin' to do with my selection. So...how many of these did you read over and immediately respond "OMG! That's my soooooong"?

15-20 OMGs
False. You do not like rap music. You are probably a white girl that grew up in the 90s though. Well done, you may collect your complimentary glow in the dark slap bracelet and scrunchie upon completion of this post.

10-14 OMGs
Congratulations! You went to college in the last 15 years! Or atleast to the frat parties...

5-9 OMGs
You listen to a lot of country music, don't you? That's ok, I do too. For you I offer an alternate list:
Dixie Chicks: Wide Open Spaces
Rascal Flatts: Bless the Broken Road
Brad Paisley: Alcohol
Kenny Chesney: She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy
Reba McEntire: Fancy
Sugarland: Baby Girl
Martina McBride: This One's For the Girls
Faith Hill: This Kiss
Does this list seem to be a little more in the right direction for you? Thought it might be. Nothing wrong with that.

0-4 OMGs
Don't worry, Mom, I'll play you a few of these rap tunes that the kids be listenin' to, yo.



Fun fact: I've done more than one of the songs on this list at karaoke...in front of people...in public. True that.

If you can come up with any others that I have left off the list, please feel free to chime in. It's a pretty fun exercise, until you realize that the music you've been listening to actually kind of sucks. Oh well, that's why we have the freedom to hide our playlists on Facebook, whew!

0 comments:

Post a Comment